One of precious few round churches in Egypt, this active Greek Orthodox church stands inside an ancient Roman fortress.
Located within the Babylon Fortress, an ancient Roman structure built upon the arrival of Emperor Augustus in what is now Old Cairo, the Church of St. George is an active Greek Orthodox church that dates back to at least the 10th century. In 1909, it was rebuilt after a fire damaged parts of its structure.
Today, the Church of St. George stands in the heart of Old Cairo’s Coptic Compound with its robust rotunda layout, making it one of a precious few round churches to grace the lands of Egypt. It was built on top of an ancient Roman tower which connects to the underground monastery and is accessed through stairs in the interior.
Entering the church, you’ll find it hosting intricately decorated wooden portals, with the one leading to St. George’s shrine is ornamented with patterns evocative of Islamic arts. The main hall features arched windows topped by stained glass and an ornate ceiling hosts verses from the psalms.